The vineyard Hourbanon appears in the 6th edition of Bordeaux and Its Wines, Editions Feret (the bible of Bordeaux wines), classified under the headings of Crus Artisans and Farmers in 1893. At that time the vineyard belonged to the Drouillet family, one member of whom was mayor of Lesparre.
In 1898, according to the 7th edition of Bordeaux and Its Wines, the vineyard became Cru Bourgeois, still belonging to the same family and producing 35 tons, or 31,500 liter, equivalent to 42,000 bottles
At that time, the operation is called Cru-Hourbanon, since at that time the Chateau La Cardonne was a neighbor located on the same road, 1km away. Unfortunately, the hardships of operating in the decades that followed is not known. It seems that the vineyard has had ups and downs with the same period of abandonment.
After their return from Algeria, the Montgaillard family acquired the vineyard. The Family Montgaillard operated this small area shared between the vineyards and some cows. They sold grapes to the cooperative, and the brand at that time fell into disuse somewhat.
In 1974 Rémi Delayat, the current owner’s father, acquired this vineyard. It was in pretty bad shape. This dentist from Yvelines, originally from Bresse and passionate about wine decided to restore the credentials in the vineyard of Hourbanon. Remi constructed a modern winery, and rehabilitated the old wine cellar for storing and aging wine bottles. He also renovated the farmhouse. All of this renovation work lasted several years, which his wife Nicole Delayat continued after the premature death of Remi in 1981.
Hugues, their son, took over in 1997. Having bathed in the passion of wine since childhood, he faces this trade directly in contrast to his parents. But certain constants have transcended generations : a passion for wine, respect for the land, and taste for wines of the Médoc.